Friday, August 8, 2008

Our WaDuke Anniversary & Week 38

So what does a third anniversary celebration right after the Bar exam and right before a new baby look like? A lot of lounging around and relaxing! This week we went for an overnight "staycation" at the luxurious Washington Duke Inn. Since it was our anniversary (and since it is low season for the hotel), we got upgraded to a huge suite and got vouchers for free room service, which was sweet, but my favorite part was floating around in their lovely pool and pretending for a little while that I wasn't pregnant.

And that, as you see, is quite a feat for me right now.

We were very surprised and extremely happy to find how much we felt like we had actually gone somewhere even though we were only about ten minutes away from our apartment. Unfortunately, we were so pooped by all of the recent happenings that we hardly took any pictures while we were there!

The following day was our "real" anniversary. Adam took me out to dinner that night at a very fancy local restaurant we have been wanting to try for a long time. I put on my fancy art deco dress (the only pre-pregnancy dress I can still fit into) and he even put a tie on for the occasion.

Adam snapped some pictures of me before dinner and we meant to take some pictures of both of us dressed up when we got back, but of course, a pregnancy-related crisis put the kabosh on that. Out of sheer vanity, I put on some kitten heels with my dress that fit me in my previous life. During dinner at the very ritzy restaurant, my feet became so swollen from not being elevated (and already being aggrievated by the terrible heat wave that we were having) that I could not put my shoes back on to walk to the car. I barely managed to hobble to the restroom. Thankfully, I found a chair in the handicapped stall where I sat and put my feet up against the stall door until I got enough fluid out of them to fit my shoes back on for a few minutes and make it to the front door. Once I got home, all I could think about was getting off my feet again!

All in all, it was a wonderful and very memorable anniversary, only slightly marred by the fact that I'm huge, swollen, hormonal, and pretty much done being pregnant ...

4 comments:

tkangaroo said...

But you looked gorgeous!

nickle said...

Happy Anniversary. At least you were able to spend a night out before the baby comes. You may feel huge, but your looking great, and two more weeks, down hill stretch. If you want to borrow Alex and Teagan, they'll help you pass the time. And I could use the free time to finish cleaning the kitchen. hehehehe

Brianne & Jarod said...

Wow! Ariel...you look awesome! (A lot more preggo, but just beautiful!) Glad to see that you had so much fun and a chance to "get away!" I am freaking out looking at your baby calendar, and just can't wait for her to come!!

Unknown said...

You look more beautiful than ever!