Sunday, December 11, 2011

Stuff I Made



So about a month ago, I was looking through the Land of Nod catalog at all of the things I can't afford and the thought, "Hum, I wonder what ever happened to my sewing machine."  This thought and a couple of trips to JoAnn Fabrics later, the sewing machine my mom bought me for my birthday three years ago is no longer languishing forgotten on the upper shelf of Charlotte's closet. We are in business for the holidays, folks.  In fact, I've been sewing so much, my husband has asked me to stop and pay some attention to him so I'm going to take a break now.  But here is the stuff I made in the past few weeks (minus the pilgrim hats, which I featured in the Thanksgiving post).  Eat your heart out, Land of Nod.  This little felt Christmas tree garland (sold for $29 at LON) cost me about six dollars in felt to make.  And I like my colors better.  So there!


I saw these cute Santa bags on Pottery Barn Kids, but thanks to this useful tutorial I whipped these up myself.  (Okay, "whipped" is the wrong word.  Turning out the casings that are the little strings on the bag was pure torture and it took me forever.  But I saved about $30 and learned a lot, so that's not bad.)
After I spent a while staring at my little garland, I decided some pillows with little felt trees would look pretty dang cute on my couches too.  While I should have gotten a little more fabric (these pillow cases are kind of pulling around the sides of my old, flat inserts), I think they turned out pretty well.  The best part about these, of course, is that my kids look so stinkin' cute sitting in front of them!

5 comments:

Miekka said...

Those are so cute Air. My only question is how much swearing did you do while you were sewing? The two seem to go hand in hand!

Ariel said...

Hah, Miek, I think about your mom howling curse words every time I get my machine out. :)

Kristen said...

Awesome job, Ariel! You are quite the crafty lady.

Margaret said...

Look at you, Ariel! Those things look awesome. It almost makes me want to renege on my sewing machine ban.

Shandie said...

Great job, those turned out so cute! Your just making me wish I had a sewing machine of my own.:)