Thursday, August 26, 2010

Introducing ... Grey Adam Laughton

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to update the blog. Let's just say this hasn't been the easiest week of my life. It has been one of the most wonderful! Baby Grey joined our family on Sunday, August 22, 2010 at 10:55 p.m. He came into the world at a relatively modest 7 lbs. 13 oz. and at 19.5 inches long.

For those of you interested in the gory details ... On Sunday morning, we headed to church. After 2 hours on a hard bench, I was pretty sure I was leaking some amniotic fluid and was having some regular contractions but they weren't really strong or picking up very rapidly. At 2:30, we went to the hospital (Charlotte stayed home with her Mimi) to get things checked out and while they weren't sure whether I was actually leaking fluid or not, they decided that my contractions were regular enough and that I was dilated enough (still at a 4) to keep an eye on me. I insisted that they let me get up and walk for a while even though they were trying to keep me pinned down in bed with monitors all over me and after a nice, rapid walk around the hospital my contractions picked up and I got to a 5 so I was admitted. The doctor (Dr. Champion at Care for Women, who was AMAZING) came in before long and broke my water and then my contractions started becoming really painful within a few minutes. Thankfully, I got an awesome epidural right away--just the right amount so I was numb but could feel when I was having contractions. After an hour on pitocin, I went from a 5 to a 10 pretty much painlessly.

Of course, that was when the "fun" started. I started contracting irregularly and the doctor thought that the baby might be experiencing some compression of the umbilical cord so they had me start pushing as soon as I hit a ten even though the baby was still at a -2 position (not descended). I had quite a time getting little Grey out since he was in a posterior position (coming out face-up) and was a bigger boy than his sister. After about 45 minutes of hard pushing and intense pressure, I started feeling exhausted and like I wasn't going to be able to get him out. The doctor turned and told the nurse to get the vacuum ready. The thought of his little head being sucked out and pushed into a cone shape inspired me to give it everything I had left and (after a lot of prayers, a strategic episiotomy, and tons of good coaching from Adam, my mom, and my sister Ashley) Grey came into the world.


This sweet little boy just whimpered and fussed a little bit after he was born--a real change from his roaring lioness of a sister!

The look of serious relief mixed with exhaustion.





A couple of pictures from the next day at the hospital.


He is such a sweet, precious boy. We feel so blessed to have two beautiful, healthy children in our family now.

Of course, we have taken a ton of pictures since Grey came home. I promise to post more soon!

11 comments:

Des said...

He is soooooo cute!! Congrats Ariel and Adam! I can't wait to meet the little guy

Anonymous said...

Sooo happy for you Ariel!! He is an absolutely beautiful baby boy! Congrats!!

The Rocks said...

He is so adorable! Sounds like you were a champ, Ariel (as usual!)and I'm so glad that Grey got here quickly and safely. Enjoy having a little boy--they're so much fun!

The Rocks said...

He is so adorable! Sounds like you were a champ, Ariel (as usual!)and I'm so glad that Grey got here quickly and safely. Enjoy having a little boy--they're so much fun!

Christine said...

what a handsome little boy! I am sure he is bringing you bundles of joy. Congratulations Laughton family! Thank you for sharing these precious pictures with us.

Cassidy said...

Oh, enjoy that newborn stage, I can't believe how fast it goes (but of course you know that). Let me know if you need anything, and we'd like to bring dinner one night this week (if this week is good for you). I'll call you soon!

Derek and Becca Theurer said...

Congratulations! I have been dying to see the pictures. Grey is such a beautiful baby. I'm glad to hear he wasn't 9 or 10 pounds. Can't wait to meet the little guy. We're so happy for you guys.

Lizzy said...

Oh he is so, so cute! I'm sorry that the delivery wasn't super easy, but so happy for you that you got the epidural as soon as you wanted it, and that it was just the right amount! Good luck with everything, and I can't wait to see more pictures!

Kirsti said...

Congratulations! He looks so sweet: I hope your recovery is quick, and that you all enjoy the transition into life as a foursome!

Tyler and Rachael said...

tons upon tons upon tons of CONGRATULATIONS!! We've been checking your blog everyday since your Sunday post and are just so so happy for you and Grey's healthy and safe arrival. Hip Hip Hooray.

Deanna said...

I love the pictures! Congratulations - aren't you so glad to not be pregnant anymore (even though the first two weeks after delivery are far from easy). Way to get him out!